3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Saturday, January 22, 2011

1st email - Bonjour ma famille!

 Bonjour mère et père et famille!
Wow it's crazy that I'm in the MTC! I have so much to tell all of you! Yes Elder Kyle Sheffield and Elder Jeff Moss were there to greet me when we came up to the curb! I didn't know that you aren't allowed to hug cousins so when I jumped out and gave Kyle a hug he kind of went stiff and said "I don't think we're allowed to hug."  I was told later that even if your family members are here you have to shake their hands so as to not confuse other missionaries.  The first day we had a lot of meetings and we had to teach investigators who came in (role play of course) but we were told to take it seriously and it's amazing the spirit that you can feel.  We didn't get back to our rooms until 9 pm and then we had to unpack.  I didn't even have time to read my scriptures or write in my journal :( because lights had to be out by 10:30. 
I would say Thursday was the most overwhelming day, finally yesterday we had time for our personal and companion study!  Which was so nice!  Before that it was just learn, learn, learn.  Which is great, but we didn't have any time to ourselves to take everything in.  Starting next week we'll have set times for studying (personal/compation/french).  I was interviewed yesterday by Sister Grabrielle to see if I could be put on the advanced track.  All of it was in French!  She asked why I came on a mission, what blessings I have seen in my life, and if I knew what I would be doing in the advanced track (which is only 3 weeks instead of 9).  She let me decide what I wanted to do, but I only had 10 minutes to decide!  She explained that the advanced track would only be in English and I would have to finish studying and learning French on my own.  It was a hard decision to make!  She left me with my companion, Sister Judd, to decide.  I was praying so hard in my heart to help me decide.  If you want to know, I'm staying here the full 9 weeks.  I love my companion!  and she doesn't know any French yet!  I looked at all of the blessings that would come from it.  I have been able to help her and in fact all of the missionaries in my district ask me for help.  Our teachers always speak in French and it's amazing I've already seen how good I actually am.  Sister Judd told me it was my decision but she would definitely miss me (because she would then be the only sister in the district) and it's so good to have the support of a companion!  She gives me such good advice and is so sweet!  She's from Pleasant Grove, Utah.  After I decided to stay I felt so good about it and I know it will only help me be even more prepared.  Sister Judd told me to think about what my motive was for wanting to get on the advanced track, was it because I am advanced or was it because I just want to get out of the MTC?  On Thursday night we had a lesson and the teacher was telling us that our mission has already started.  It doesn't start when you get to the mission field, and to tell you the truth that is how I felt.  I was so anxious to get to Paris that I wasn't thinking about how much the MTC will help me.  I'm so grateul I made this decision and I know I'll be blessed for it.
We have a 3rd companion, Sister Buswell, she is so funny and friendly, very short (whereas sister Judd is 5'10"1/2.  Sister Buswell is going to Tahiti, so she is in a different district, but we're in the same zone and branch.  We have a great branch presidency, I'll be interviewed by him personally on Sunday, but I was interviewed by his counselor (I can't remember his name!) and it was neat.  He told me he could tell that I had been prepared in very special ways and he loved me testimony (we all had to share ours when introduced), and he also reminded me to stay focused and remember why I'm here.  Our branch meeting, or sacrament meetings are all in French and every missionary has to prepare a talk every week, so no one knows who is going to speak!  They do this so that when we get into the mission field we will have pre-prepared talks if we ever need to give one at church.  This week it is on the Atonement.  I haven't finished writing mine yet, but I'm excited,  I've come to understand the atonement so much more everyday as I grow and learn throughout my life. 
I love you all and miss you, but I know there are people waiting for me in France!
Bisous,
Sister Valerie Reeves
P.S. If people could use dearelder.com that would be great, because I get those everyday of the week, whereas I can only read emails on my P-day (which will start to be on Fridays starting next week) and that takes up my time to send an email.  Thanks
Also thank you Sully for your letter!  That was great to receive on Thursday!  It is so nice to receive letters.
Thank you Greg and Brittany for the hat! I love it! (I'm guessing it was from you)
Ryan I ran into Elder Seamons, Elder Clegg, and Elder Moss again, they're all anxious to find out where you're going
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment