3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Au Revoir Les Etats-Unis


Bonjour ma famille,

I don't think any of you have heard but I am leaving for Paris this Friday at 4:50 pm and i have a direct flight, so I'll be arriving at 11:25 am in Paris, about 3:25 am in Utah. I am definitely going to try and sleep while I am on the plane, as well as preach the gospel to the person sitting next to me :). I was kind of surprised. Elder Skanchy called me into his office yesterday and was talking about me getting reimbursed since I had to pay for my own food, and then he said, "Just make sure you do it before Friday," then he paused and said, "You know that you're leaving this Friday right?" Nope I did not know, it's bitter-sweet. I'm so excited to get out to Paris, but I have loved serving here at temple square. I am going to miss Sister Zalazar (whose name is Valeria, I forgot to mention that last week). I love all of the sisters here, they're all so great and happy and hard working. It will be different going back to having Elders for District and Zone leaders and Assistants.
I know Mom and Dad heard, but I ran into Elder Farrington and his parents, who were actually here for Elder Bringhurst's wedding, and then I saw Elder Pieper (sorry I'm still used to calling them Elder). Last week I saw brother and sister Peterson from Bountiful! It's been fun running into those people.
We got more referrals this last week, but for some reason none of our investigators have been answering their phones. It's hard not being able to go over to their houses, but we leave them messages, letting them know we're thinking about them and sometimes we'll email scriptures or videos. I also prayed in Spanish yesterday when we had a lesson with one of our investigators, Jauna (Sister Zalazar said I have a French accent when I speak in Spanish, and I had to read the prayer that I had written out). Sadly, the line got disconnected during the middle of the prayer, and then everytime we called her back the call would end. Hopefully Sister Zalazar will be able to continue teaching her. It's funny, some people we talk to start talking to us about their churches and teaching us what they believe and then encourage us to pray about it! I have to tell them, "Sorry, I have prayed to know the truth, but if you're ever interested in learning more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints you can call us back or meet with the missionaries in your area." I called another man in French this week from Tahiti; he didn't answer, but I left a message, hopefully he will call back, or the other sisters can teach him after I've left. I ran into a few other French speakers from Quebec; it was funny because I was speaking in French, but they would reply in English. Last night I went to the French meeting. Since there are sisters here from all over the world they have meetings once a transfer for the different languages that are spoken. Sister Suebe from France was so sweet! We all introduced ourselves and then told why we had come on a mission. She began crying as she talked about the two American missionaries who had come to France and taught her grand-parents and then she showed us their pictures. She mentioned how people always say things about the French people and how hard hearted they are, but there are people there who are waiting to hear the gospel and she is grateful that those missionaries had worked so hard and not given up. She started crying again when I announced that I am leaving this Friday for France, and she was also excited that Elder Skanchy gave me a French flag (although Sister Leroy from Belgium was not :).
Yesterday six of us also got to do service up at Heritage park. We cleaned Brigham Young's home. I'll send pictures from it later, but I have to go.
I'll probably be calling you soon, Mom and Dad, and I'm excited to go to France! I love you all!

Bisous,

Soeur Valerie Reeves

P.S. Mom We buy our own food and eat it at our apartment or here at Temple Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment