3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Thursday, March 31, 2011

week 6 - All the Way to the Top

Bonjour!

I know this email is early but we ended up having P-day today because most people could only meet with us on Friday or Saturday and then of course we have General Conference Saturday evening.
On Sunday FOUR of our amis came to church! We were so excited! Because of Nicole's testimony last week with Julia and Rui they came to Church. They even brought their daughter Bruna who loved primary and was so good during Sacrament meeting (I was surprised only because she's usually running around when we're at their house). They were going to bring Filipe, who is 14, but for some reason he didn't come. Last night though I asked him if he would like to start joining us in our lessons and if we could teach him as well and he said yes! It would be so wonderful if their whole family can get baptized. They've continued to read the Book of Mormon and they're so excited for General Conference; they're coming to all of the sessions! Rui's heart has started to soften because he was the one who didn't want to come to church for a long time, but yesterday he said he would try to see if he can get work off on Saturday to come to General Conference and he told us he really wants to get an answer and said, "So I'm still reading." Julia then said, "Well it's all true up until now." (Meaning the chapters they have read so far). Rui didn't say anything, but you could tell he agreed and Julia finally got him to say yes. Our rendea-vous went so well with them and Soeur Larsen and I bore our testimonies to them about have a living prophet. As I bore my testimony I had the strongest feeling come over me and I knew there was no doubt in my mind that Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet and that the 12 Apostles have also been called of God.
We met with Rita on Tuesday and again this morning and she is "golden." We taught her about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon because she had that lesson a year ago from the other missionaries and didn't remember much. As we told her the story and bore testimony the spirit was so strong and she just sat there thinking. Then she said, "Well of course there has to be a prophet." We talked about how the prophet has the authority of God to lead and direct us and also has the priesthood to bring about the saving ordinances such as baptism and also that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. She agreed with all of it. She wants so badly for her family to meet with the missionaries too, but her children and husband won't agree to it yet. Every time she prays though she asks God to help them have a desire. We promised her that if she continues to read and pray and is an example to them they will want that in their lives too.
We have visited a lot of in-active members this week and it's sad that none of their home teachers or visiting teachers ever come. We told them they can't use that as an excuse to not come to church, but my goodness what a difference that would make. I think I've said this in an email before, but PLEASE do your home and visiting teaching!!! The Prophets and Apostles have said before that that is one of the most important callings in the church. I have heard lots of stories before that if there's anyone who can get in-active members back to church it's their home and visiting teachers. Both Soeur Larsen and I were saying yesterday that we want to come live here and visit teach all of the sisters if no one else will. Remember the covenant we make at baptism: Mosiah 18:9 "Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—"
Sorry that this email is shorter than last week, but maybe you'll be grateful. I love you all and I am so grateful for all that you have done for me. I've been so blessed with such a wonderful family and wonderful friends! I'm so grateful for this gospel and the joy it brings into my life. I can't remember if I've metioned before that Julia said to us, "Every time you talk about these things you get a huge smile on your faces." She said the same thing yesterday and I said, "It's because we know it's true and it brings happiness into our lives."

Love, Soeur Valerie Reeves

P.S. Did I ever mention that almost all of our amis live on the top floor of their buildings? Soeur Larsen said, "Maybe Heavenly Father wants to see is we're willing to go all the way to the top." (You can relate that to any aspect of your life; are you willing to go all the way to the top? - Just a thought.)

No comments:

Post a Comment