3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Friday, May 20, 2011

Week 13

Salut!

Guess what?! Michelle attended the baptism last Sunday and when she walked in she said to Soeur Woodruff and I, "I'm thinking about getting baptized, but what do I need to do?" We looked at each other both excited and told her she needs to keep meeting with us and as long as she believes our message is true and keeps the commandments she can be baptized. We also explained that she will have to be interviewed and then she got all nervous but after she watched the baptism of those four young adults she was really touched. She noticed how happy they were and that one of them started crying and she said, "This really is something important." Sadly Julia and Rui weren't able to make it to the baptism because they had a car problem and the train that goes through our area is shut down for the next 3 weeks! Travel has been ridiculous this week, but we've been able to contact people on the trains and buses.
On Monday we set a baptismal date with Michelle! She's getting baptized on the 25th of June here in Versailles and she hasn't drunk any coffee this week! All by her own choice! We told her she could just start by drinking less and less every day and she said she would try it but when we talked to her next she hadn't drunk any at all! She usually goes to clubs on the weekends with her friends (our next lesson is going to be on the gift of the Holy Ghost and standing in Holy Places ;) and she said she wanted to reward herself for not drinking coffee by getting a malibu (Rum with orange juice and coconut). I started laughing and when she looked at me she said, "What? They're really good! And I've been doing really well at not drinking coffee." We explained that it doesn't help you keep the Word of Wisdom by breaking it at the same time. Earlier in the lesson she herself had said that our bodies are a gift from God and we really should take care of them; so, I reminded her of what she had said and she said it wasn't fair that I was using her words against her, but I told her she knows what the right thing to do is. We told her if she felt tempted to get one to call us. When she said the closing prayer in our lesson she thanked Heavenly Father for helping her not drink coffee and then she said, "I really want a Malibu, but I know I shouldn't drink one so I will get orange juice instead and I will call the sisters." She is so awesome! When there is a will there is a way and when we keep the commandments of God he blesses us and won't let us be tempted above that which we are able to bear.
Yesterday we had leadership training with all of the missionaries (that we usually do multi-zone conferences with) instead of just the leaders. It was the best training I have ever been to and I'm sure all of the missionaries. President Staheli shared from Mosiah 26:37-39
37 And it came to pass that Alma did regulate all the affairs of the church; and they began again to have peace and to prosper exceedingly in the affairs of the church, walking circumspectly before God, receiving many, and baptizing many.
38 And now all these things did Alma and his fellow laborers do who were over the church, walking in all diligence, teaching the word of God in all things, suffering all manner of afflictions, being persecuted by all those who did not belong to the church of God.
39 And they did admonish their brethren; and they were also admonished, every one by the word of God, according to his sins, or to the sins which he had committed, being commanded of God to pray without ceasing, and to give thanks in all things.

He also shared from Elder Christofferson's talk at general conference, "As Many as I Love, I Rebuke and Chasten." Of course the training yesterday was about being exactly obedient and not doing little things that we know we shouldn't. When we are obedient we are promised blessings, "I, the Lord, ambound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." We stay worthy of the Holy Ghost and when we have the Holy Ghost our testimonies are stronger and he can touch others hearts when we share them. President Staheli promised us if we do what we know we are supposed to, because we gave our ward when we signed our acceptance letters for our missions, we will have success. Our baptisms have been a lot lower than last year, but I too know that if all of the missionaries always do their best we will find those whom the Lord has prepared for us.

I love you all!

Bisous, Soeur Valerie Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment