3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Monday, May 21, 2012

week 65 - following the spirit

Salut!

Happy Birthday this week to Sam and Jessica! I hope you enjoy your birthdays, and we'll see if Sam is like some of the other grandkids who eat their entire cake by themselves. Thank you for the wonderful experiences that you shared, Dad, Laurie and Ryan, and Mom for the talks that were given. They're all such inspiring stories. Just to let you know, since you're probably wondering. Veronique has disappeared. Ha, I have taught so many Africans that are amazing and want to get baptised and then they disappear and we never hear from them again; we call and their phone number never works, or we pass by their house multiple times, but no one is ever there. (I think it's often from legal problems or family problems back home in Africa). Alexandre called and said that he talked with his wife, but she is still against us coming, the Elders coming, or the senior couple. He said since she won't let us come over, he might try passing by the church sometime. Who knows, it might be a while. We have planted a seed, but I'm sure missionaries in the future will get to watch it grow.
On a happier note... We got two new investigators this week! Last Monday we were supposed to go eat at some member's home but they cancelled at the last minute because the mom was sick. We had totally forgotten to make a back up plan, I think because we thought we were for sure going since we had confirmed the night before. We said a prayer asking the Lord what he wanted us to do. We had made a plan to pass by some in-actives during the week and at the same time contact in those areas to try to find new investigators. We decided to go to the north part of Villeneuve D'Ascq by the Metro stop Jean Jaurès and pass by some in-active members. Either they weren't home or they had moved, and then a man told us that we weren't aloud to proselyte in apartment buildings (the sign confirmed it). We started to walk back toward the metro. I feel like we were like Nephi when he said, "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do." (1 Nephi 4:6). Soeur Alves pointed in one directed and said, "I think the Metro is by there." I didn't think it was, but I was tired and didn't want to say she was wrong so I kept my mouth shut and followed her. As we were walking along the path we walked past a couple who we knew were not from France and who looked like islanders. Soeur Alves stopped and asked them if we were going in the right direction for the Metro, they said, "no," and that it was on the other side of the neighborhood. We thanked them and then they asked, "are you Christian?" We said yes and asked if they were too. They said yes and then we started talking with them and found out that they're from New Caledonia and they asked what we were doing here so we told them we were missionaries. They know the name of the church, since there are a lot of members in Polynesia and they had met the missionaries once before. We asked them if we could come over and share our message with them and they said yes!
We had our first rendez-vous with them on Saturday night, they're names are Geneviève and Jean-Christophe and have 4 adorable children and their family is very important to them. They are very open people and so kind and Jean-Christophe had an amazing story of how he was converted to Jesus Christ and totally changed his life. I'm so grateful we followed the spirit (and that I kept my mouth shut.) I know that we were led by him to Geneviève and Christophe and I'm excited to keep teaching them. We gave them both copies of the Book of Mormon and the family Proclamation. I hope we can get them to come to our church activity and sacrament meeting this next weekend. (We also have two men in our ward who served in New Caledonia).
I know that the Lord prepares people by his spirit and his angels.

Bisous, Soeur Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment