3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Monday, October 3, 2011

Week 32

There's going to be a temple in Paris, France!!!!! Just to inform you if you weren't paying attention at conference ;). We had already heard about it because there was an article printed in the Parisien, but then I guess they started publicizing it in Salt Lake too. However, President Monson sent a letter to all of the members in France saying to not talk about it and that it wouldn't be official until and if it was announced in General Conference. My heart was pounding yesterday! I was so anxious, it was bizarre that President Monson spoke in the middle of the session instead of the beginning and then the Paris temple was the last one he announced! I was so nervous he wasn't going to say it! I'm so happy for the members. I know it is something that will help all of them as well as the missionary work here in France.
I love General Conference! I'm so grateful that we live in a time with living prophets and apostles upon the earth. It's crazy I feel like Elder Scott's talks are always directed toward me and what I need to hear, I learned something from each of the talks though and received losts of answers about the concerns of our amis.
The Elders met a woman named Daphné this last week and after they said, "Hello, we're missionaries..." and before they could get another word in she asked, "Where is your church?" and told them that she's been looking and praying for a church to go to. She ended up coming to two of the sessions of General Conference and loved them! She hasn't even had any lessons yet! The Elders are passing her to us, because we have a new rule that only the sisters can teach single women and only the Elders can teach single men (if both companionships are serving in the same ward). (Yes we have had some problems with people wanting to see us for the wrong reasons). So we gave the Elders lots of new amis. It seems like it's always after the test of our faith and hard work, when it seems like we're having no success that the Lord gives us a miracle, and it wasn't something that we accomplished on our own. I'm very excited to teach Daphné! She is so sweet and very ready to listen.
One of our amis only came to an hour of conference and thankfully we caught him right before he left. I guess some of the talks brought back hard memories of his past and he told us he feels like he is lost, that he is dead spiritually and can't do anything about it. We told him he can, because Jesus Christ died for him and he can repent. He said no, and that everyone else will automatically be saved no matter how wicked they are, but not him. We realized then that he doesn't understand the atonement and bore testimony to him that it doesn't work like that, that we need to repent and can repent. We told him the story of Alma the younger and had him read some verses from Alma 36. He ended up reading the whole chapter and then looked up and said, "I need to think." He then left. Soeur Carter and I prayed and prayed that everything will be okay and that he will have a desire to come unto Christ and be cleansed for him. I so badly wished that he had stayed for Elder Christofferson's talk. It was perfect! I love how he said we can have joy in repentance. I know that's true and I know that Jesus Christ used his agency to suffer for us so that he could know how to succor us. May we each repent each day and ask for his help in overcoming our weaknesses that we may become perfect in him.

I love you all,

Soeur Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment