3 Nephi 5:13

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

Monday, April 2, 2012

week 58 - what a simple smile and hello can do

Wow! Congratulations mom! Yesterday, Soeur Alves and I were walking up to the front door of the church when one of the Elders asked, "Are there really 13 kids in your family?" "Yes." I said. I didn't really think anything of it since people often bring it up. Then Elder Metcalfe came walking out and while handing me a brownie said, "There's the famous girl! So, 13 kids in your family and what's your dad's name?" Confused I said, "Melvyn." Elder Metcalfe then looked at all of the Elders and said, "Yep, it's her." I was so confused and asked what on earth they were talking about! They were surprised that I didn't already know and Elder Metcalfe said, "Your mom is in the new Relief Society Presidency!" I took a step back and said, "What?! Your joking!" (It's not something a missionary expects to hear when walking to the church to watch general conference). He looked at me and asked, "Would I joke about something like that?" Elder and Soeur Metcalfe, the senior couple, had already watched the Saturday afternoon session at home since they have a computer. All of the missionaries just started laughing and I was still in shock! In fact my stomach still hasn't settled down since yesterday! Even though it's not my calling, I can't keep my mind off of how this will affect everything in the future, so I've just been praying that Heavenly Father will help keep me focused on NOW and my mission. I guess it just reminds me of when Mom and Dad got there mission call; I remember Ryan, Allyson, and I stayed up all night talking. Don't worry about me though, everything will be okay, it's always just kind of shocking at first ha. However, like Allyson said, not at all a surprise! We have one of the most amazing mothers on earth! The most amazing for us! When we started watching conference it was confirmed when they announced the auxilaries. I started thinking of all of your amazing attributes mom and I know that God has called you for a very special reason. After conference many of the members came up to me to congratulate me, or rather you and they all talked about how amazing you must be. They're excited to hear you speak at the next Relief Society session and then say, "We know her daughter!" I think I told you that Soeur Murray, Creager and Carter are serving in a threesome and they called to congratulate you. They said soeur Carter was jumping up in down in her seat and said, "Her daughter is my mom!" haha, for those of you who have served a mission you know that that means I trained her. They all feel like they know you and weren't at all surprised when they heard your name announced; they're very excited for you.
Oh I also saw Christina Nelson! She was singing in the choir from the MTC!
Anyway, Soeur Alves is amazing! I couldn't have asked for a better companion, especially for my last two transfers. President Poznanski invites one sister companionship to mission council each transfer and this time he invited me and Soeur Alves. I felt very privileged and it was a great opportunity to learn more about leadership and also to represent the sister missionaries. During the training Soeur Poznanski talked about recognizing little miracles each day, not just looking at baptisms as our only miracles. It then brought to my mind a story that Soeur Creager shared with me last Wednesday during transfers. I shared this story at mission council because it made me think of the effect we can have on other peoples lives. Soeur Creager was at church in Colmar two Sundays ago and had brought her journal for the members to sign since it was her last Sunday. She and her companion were the last ones at the church with one other sister who was the last one to write in Soeur Creager's journal. When she finished and handed the journal to Soeur Creager she started sobbing and Soeur Creager asked her what was wrong. This sweet sister looked up at Soeur Creager and told her how much she was going to miss her and how much she loved Soeur Creager and Soeur Reeves (me). She told Soeur Creager that before the two of us came to Colmar she had decided she was going to leave the church. Many members judge her for her past and she felt like no one loved her. The Saturday before my and Soeur Creager's first Sunday in Colmar this sister was going to say to her husband and children that they, as a family, were never going to go to church again. She prayed and cried that night and had a strong feeling that she should go to church. The next day Soeur Creager and I were the first people to welcome her and her family. We said, "Hello," with smiles on our faces, as we were excited to get to know each of the members in our new area of Colmar and talked with her and got to know her and her family. I had no idea that she had even considered leaving the church and I don't even remember that Sunday because we said, "Hi," to everyone that came in each week. She told Soeur Creager that we changed her life and she finally felt like someone loved her and cared about her. She said too that we gave her an enthousiasm for missionary work and it's true that she gave us lots of referalls. Now looking back I see that she invited us over for dinner more than a lot of the other members and I love her and I know the person she is now. (We can't let people's past actions get in the way of loving them and forgiving them). After hearing this story and sharing it at mission council it made me cry and have even more love for this wonderful sister who showed so much love and kindness to me and Soeur Creager. We never know what is going on in people's personal lives and we don't know the affect we can have on them simply by being kind and showing love toward them. I hope that each of us will put forth a better effort to smile and say hello to everyone and look out for and be aware of family, friends, and especially people in our wards. If you ever see someone sitting alone, go and sit by them. Truly, I had no idea, but now I will never forget what our simple smile and hello did.
Be a miracle for somebody else! I love you all!

Bisous, Soeur Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment